Monday, June 20, 2011

kilometres for communication

I loved this presentation that I went to. It's about these two boys that are cycling across Canada to raise awareness about alternative augmentative communication. It is really cool, I think, and I think there has to be more awareness raised because two of the people at the presentation had communication devices taken away from them by teachers because the voice was annoying. (!) This is like me putting tape over your mouth because it's like taking their voice away and how would you like it if somebody made fun of your voice? This really makes me mad because everybody has the fundamental human right to communicate. If you don't give them a chance to communicate, then they can't. Alot of people think that non-verbal people are dumb and stupid and don't understand what you're saying. Even the simple things, simple wants and needs, like thirst, hunger, need for sleep, etc. If people had the ability to communicate even these simple needs, they would feel more like humans. Not aliens. This is the blog for Kilmotres for Communication:
http://kilometresforcommunication.wordpress.com/
Check it out!

Talk to you guys later! Leave me comments if you have time!

2 comments:

Ellen Seidman said...

OK, that is mind-boggling that their devices were taken away for that reason. I'm not saying I love the voice on Max's device, but still, it's one of his main ways of communicating—deal with it!!! Very awed by Kilometres For Communication, I took a look at the blog.

Ian & Ruby said...

Hi, I found your site via Max's Mum's blog, and appreciate what you say about talking to people, whether they can reply or not. I have a disabled child that I care for (have fostered her for over 8 years) who can speak, but her speech is very slow, slurred, and she breaks her words down into syllables so that she has the energy to say the whole word. Some people do find it hard to understand her, but I always appreciate it when people talk TO HER and not rely on me to translate for her. (I do this if it is appropriate.) Where she goes for respite there is a young lady who cannot speak out loud; she mouths the words, and yes, it takes effort to try to interpret what she is saying. I always make it a point to talk with her. My child loves this girl, and I think the feeling is mutual. They are always so pleased to see each other. And they really do communicate with each other. I am not sure whether it is all 'normal' conversation, but there seems to be some sort of special understanding between them which is very precious to see. It always bothers me when I see carers who carry out procedures on disabled persons, without speaking to them first, asking their permission, and giving them input into their own care. I cannot believe that teachers would take away a child's means of communication. There is still a lot of education needed!